7.09.2008

Sunscreen

Before, I write anything else I have to put a disclaimer out...I'm not a super health freak, nor am I easily paranoid by things. Yes, my sister will roll her eyes when she sees this and say, "Oh my!" So with that out of the way, I wanted to share something I thought was interesting. This all started b/c my friend, Hannah, and I have had a few discussions about using sunscreen on our babies. Technically, you are not suppose to use sunscreen on kids under 6 months, but it's better to use sunscreen than get burned. This morning I came across a website that has rated the effectiveness and hazards of many types/brands of sunscreens. I thought it was kind of helpful and wanted to share. It also rates cosmetics and other items...I think anything that we use on our skin. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/ The sunscreen I purchased for Piper is rated at a 3 and the sunscreen Michael and I use isn't listed--it's too generic for this study I guess...and, probably the most harmful! Please keep in mind that I didn't research the organization (Environmental Working Group) that produced the material on the website. I do know that the EWG is a nonprofit research organization but that's about all. Anyone more knowledgeable on the subject can leave a comment!!

No comments: